May 14, 2007

Mozhi - An exception to my conception of tamil cinema


In the very first few days of my landing here in coimbatore, I was made to watch a tamil film. It was a very bad CD, and more so, a very bad film, made by one of the persons in cinema, whom I very much respect. But the most surprising factor was the amount of commercial success, as well as public infatuation towards that kind of "formula" cinema.

Within a few days after that I watched a few similar films...and trust me I still cannot distinguish between them !

In a situation so pathetic, and so painful that I had come to hate tamil cinema from the" bottom of my bottom" ( a statement often used by my friend Clive), I happenned to watch a film that not only restored my belief in tamil cinema, but also made me salute the director and producer for daring to make such a film in the "formula" world of tamil cinema.

This film also restored my belief in tamil audience, who have made this film a commercial success.

The film which I am talking about is Mozhi (language). Directed by RadhaMohan and produced by Prakash Raj, it is truly a must watch.

Its a very light hearted film with great elements of ingeniuosly conceived comedy, which revolves around a musician falling in love with a deaf and mute girl, supported by his friend and her friend.

"Kaatrin mozhi..." is a beautiful song penned by Vairamuthu and set to tune by Vidyasagar, says language is no neccesity to live this life. Today where the world is heading towards a revolution in communication, the sharp irony of this song surely lingers in the minds of the viewers for quite a while.

A salute to Mr. RadhaMohan and Prakash Raj for this mind blowing effort.

Another thing that struck me in the movie is the video of the logo of duet movies. It can be interpretted in various ways, but simply put, its interesting.

1 comment:

Cul de sac said...

i completely agree with you.. i thought it was a well made movie.. and though jyothika's acting is pure annoyance to me, somehow i managed...